Richards Park was granted to Lowell in 1855 by the town’s first physician, Dr. Arba Richards, who platted the west side of the Flat River. The park is bounded by Hudson, Spring, Lincoln Lake, and Elm streets. Having developed into a popular playground, picnic area, and site for small-scale softball games, the park was renovated by the city in 1983 with money from the Solomon S. Lee Fund. Berms have been constructed, trees planted, and play equipment upgraded, providing a grassy oasis for those seeking the quieter pursuits of leisure in a summer setting and a place for youngsters to play safely. In the winter months the park offers gently sledding slopes for children and a small outdoor ice rink.
This 1.6-acre park is located in a neighborhood one block from the Flat River. Parking is available on the adjacent streets.